Chip Bowling created X Ventures in 2013 and brought with him nearly two decades of experience in commercial real estate, which has earned him a level of unmatched expertise in the sale and lease of office properties. The deals in which he’s been integral throughout his career translate to over $600 million in volume. Chip’s aggressive standard of performance has earned him respect within the industry and with his clients who range from large real estate portfolio owners, building owners, entrepreneurs, and many of Grand Rapids’ top business leaders.
The birth of X Ventures was the result of Chip’s lifelong dream to establish a business model centered around the various real estate and investment needs and wants of his clients. The services which set X Ventures apart from other firms – which include commercial investment, development, and brokerage – came from listening to clients and understanding how to strategically deliver on their oftentimes wide-ranging and bold objectives.
Chip is most passionate about identifying a piece of real estate which others have overlooked, envisioning its possibilities, then collaboratively finding creative ways to give it viability – a second life. Chip calls this process “giving it a heartbeat.” Over time, these unique opportunities have reminded Chip to take the time and energy to certify each deal is well thought-out, has purpose, and which makes financial sense. His experiences have taught him teamwork, the importance of maintaining an open mind, and how best to look through someone else’s lens to appreciate the scope of possibilities. The reward has been to work with clients again and again on subsequent projects which continue to help shape key areas of the city.
Prior to launching X Ventures, Chip spent 15 years at Colliers International sharpening his skills and competencies by focusing on downtown Grand Rapids and southeast suburban office brokerage.
Chip’s busy life outside of deal-making and development includes raising a toddler, spending quality time with family and friends, playing golf, boating, and traveling. A notable favorite place to visit for Chip is South and Central America and Europe.
Education and Qualifications
- Aquinas College, Bachelor of Liberal Arts
- Michigan State University, Communications Studies
Affiliations and Memberships
- Commercial Alliance of Realtors, CAR
- Michigan Association of Realtors, MAR
- National Association of Realtors, NAR
- Certified Commercial Investment Member – designee, CCIM
- Mavericks, Board Member 2006
- The Potter’s House, Mentor/Tutor 2007-2008
- Mental Health Foundation, Committee Member 2008
- Commercial Alliance of Realtors Downtown Office Task Force 2012–2013
- Celebration on the Grand, Finance Board Member 2009-2010
- Economic Club of Grand Rapids, Membership Committee 2010-2011
- Grand Rapids Downtown Development Authority, Economic Committee 2011-2012
Accolades & Awards Highlights
- Commercial Alliance of Realtors
- 2016 Project of the Year
- 2012, 2013, 2014 Biggest Office Lease
- 2012 Largest Sale
- 2010 Most Commission Checks
- 2007 Most Co-op Deals
- Ranked among West Michigan’s top power brokers 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013